January 27, 1990

untitled life advice

My father was going to plant me a money tree in the back of our house
Sometimes I think he thought I was a louse.
Because I laid on the couch a lot,
He thought that all my energy had gone to pot,
And he said he planned to build a mattress for my back
With a tennis racket in my hand and a radio beside,
Sometimes I thought he hated my hide.
But I realize now it was all for the good because he said
"Deal squarely with your fellow man to everyone be kind.
Look forth to bright and sunny years and never look behind."

"As you wander through life, my boy, no matter what your goal
Keep your eye on the donut not upon the hole."
Eventually I became a great tennis player through the notion.
Sorry he did not live to see but it will always live in my memory.
A swimmer and diver would have made him proud
to see me follow through to carry on the FitzGerald name
distantly related to John FitzGerald Kennedy.
Lulu Ryan and Big Jim FitzGerald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home